Saturday, June 26, 2010

Psst...You Gotta Match?

The G8 and G20 Summits are underway. The leaders of the top superpower countries are meeting to discuss whatever they discuss. How to gang up on North Korea should the Koreans decide to unleash their nukes, how to prevent the hole in the ozone from growing any larger, how to stop economic crashes like those that occurred in Iceland and Greece. Who knows? Maybe they're all just sitting around telling dirty jokes and betting on the World Cup while tossing back a few Alexander Keith's. I admit that my knowledge of politics is not up to par. My ignorance is a bit embarrassing. I suppose I just go with the flow so much because I know how fortunate I am to live in the greatest country in the world. I know that had I been born a woman in one of a plethora of other countries, my life would have turned out so much worse. I've been to half a dozen countries around the world (certainly not a lot), but enough to see what "could have been".

Having said that, I appreciate the passion behind the people who are protesting in Toronto as we speak. I appreciate them standing up for those who don't have a voice...for those who don't even know their voices exist! It ISN'T fair that children die from easily curable diseases around the world. It ISN'T fair that mothers trudge miles for clean water. It ISN'T fair that a father tries to support his family on pennies a day. It ISN'T fair that these problems are the NORM for most people around the globe. Yes - protest these unfair divides. Yes - let the world leaders see that those with plenty need to do more to help those with nothing. Yes - stand together as one voice. But for pete's sake...don't set fires to cars, don't wreck fences, don't induce violence! There are thousands and thousands of people who just want to do the right thing, and their voices of peace and unity are drowned out by the actions of a few idiotic asses.

Do these people SERIOUSLY think that overturning a Chevy Malibu and setting it on fire is going to make Barack Obama and his cronies say "well now...maybe we should consider giving more money to the food programs in Africa. We don't want any more Malibus destroyed!". Of course not! Let's look at the people who have induced that greatest changes in the recent past. Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela. None of them burned cars. None of them hurled broken glass at police. It was their words and their peaceful actions that lead to change. If I was one of the peaceful protesters at this shin-dig I'd be pretty pissed off. I couldn't even tell you what issues are being raised because their stupid cronies are directing all attention away. Anyways, happy protesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment