Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Support Pirates, Racists and Mounties

You would have to be living in a hole in the ground not to know that the World Cup is starting. I love how people proudly display the country they support with the little flags they stick on their car. I do have an issue though with people who have more than one country flying. I passed some guy today with the flags of Germany, Brazil and England all flapping in the wind. That's sort of cheating in my mind. He conveniently can remove each flag as the teams are eliminated and still look like he's supporting a winning team. Cheater.

What I find most amusing is the people who are on the street corners and parking lots selling these flags. They aren't only selling the small flags to stick on your car, but large ones to hang from your house, to wave out the window of your car as you drive down the street honking after your team wins a game or simply to use as a toga just in case you run out of laundry. What confuses me are the flags that these people are selling. Sure you can get a flag for South Korea, Albania (aren't you impressed that I even knew what the Albanian flag looks like?...the sad part is that it's from watching a very old Simpsons episode where Bart is part of a student exchange program), Holland or Argentina. But did you know that you can also get a flag with a skull and crossbones? Or a good ole' Confederate flag? They are even selling Canadian flags with a Mountie superimposed over the maple leaf. What I want to know is WHY? I don't think that you will find Captain Jack Sparrow, Hitler or Dudley Do-Right on the roster for any world cup teams.

1 comment:

  1. The confederate flag is the worst. I once saw a peace sign flag waving close one.... my mind almost shutdown.

    ReplyDelete