Monday, February 21, 2011

A Financial Plan

Dear CEO of My Hospital:

I know that times are tough. I can only imagine the stress that you must feel when budgeting for our hospital, when the province is breathing down your neck to try and cut your budget meanwhile you are serving a community that continues to grow at breakneck speed. There is a very good reason that you are in charge of such things and I am not. I have recently learned how to financially manage my own household, although I still have a long way to go. I do, however, have one suggestion on how you can save hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

Please explain to me why if I would like a hospital porter to clean a bed, transfer a patient or do any other task, that I have to call a number which directs me to a person 30 km a way so that they can then page the porter standing right in front of me to do exactly what I could have asked them to do. (No people in Bloggy-Land....I kid you not). And then then the porter has to pick up the phone to call you to tell you that they got the page and that, yes!, I can clean the bathroom.

Not only is this a complete waste of time, but you could save so much money by completely eliminating a ridiculous system. I would like you then to consider putting that money towards hiring nurses or more porters - people who are actually useful in the hospital. And if that is not an option, then the ER nurses would like to request a big screen tv and karaoke machine in the lounge.

Thank-you,

Supernurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment