Friday, October 15, 2010

Ladymen

My children like to chatter...a lot. I have come to learn that they are verbally advanced for their 2 years, but I assume it's because they are twins and constantly have someone else to talk with. And because they are so ridiculously adorable they always attract attention when we are out and about. Being the flirts that they are they respond to this attention by saying "hi" and "bye" to everyone. But since they don't know everyone's name, the general public will hear "hi man" or "hi lady" as we pass by. This becomes a bit awkward when you see individuals whose appearances don't fit into the typical gender classifications. For example, a person with long hair will sometimes have a penis making them a man. A two-year old doesn't always get this concept.

We were at the grocery store the other day and heading through the checkout. I should have looked a the cashier first because I could sense a very awkward situation approaching. The person was very slight with long hair and feminine feature...and a large adams apple. Yep. A dude. A girly looking one, but a dude nonetheless. And being the friendly person he is, my one son smiled, waved and called out "hi lady!". Great. I leaned over to him and quietly whispered "that's a man honey. He sort of looks like a lady but he's a man". My son thought for a moment, smiled again, waved and then called out "hi ladyman". Wow. Awkward!

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been the person in the line up behind you to see that .. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a perfect way to discribe this person if you ask me. They are too smart!

    ReplyDelete